Did Usain Bolt's Olympic victory spark gunshot reports at JFK Airport?

An evacuation of JFK’s Terminal 8 was under way while police searched for a suspect

Cell phone video from inside JFK Airport Sunday night shows fear spreading through the terminals when police responded to reports of an active shooter around 9:30 p.m.

Where the initial reports of shots fired came from is still under investigation. "There are no reported injuries or arrests at this time", Port Authority said in a statement.

The Port Authorities quick reaction and smooth coordination with the NYPD lead to a great deployment of police men in both Kennedy and La Guardia Airports saving lives and preventing injuries. "[We were] required to have our hands in the air, cops with guns in their hands everywhere", said University of Chicago professor Bruce Cumings who was sitting and reading in Terminal 1 while awaiting his flight.

"The terminal was evacuated out of an abundance of caution", the agency said.

Though most people were nervous and some panicked, the scene turned into a "social atmosphere and everyone talked to everyone about the situation which made it a lot easier", he said. It also said that travellers should contact their carriers. Multiple flights scheduled to land at JFK were diverted to Buffalo.

Another wrote: "One person told authorities they heard gunshots, which were likely to be people celebrating Usain Bolt's latest gold".

On Saturday, reports of gunfire sent a crowded mall in Raleigh, North Carolina, into chaos.

Less than an hour later, yet another call of shots fired prompted the closure of Terminal 1 at JFK, in addition to a nearby highway, the Van Wyck Expressway. Port Authority and NY police were investigating.

Kennedy International Airport resumed operations early Monday after thousands were evacuated following a false report of gunshots in one of the terminals, according to local reports. According to the flight tracking company, FlightAware, all inbound flights were held at their origin at until 11:30 p.m.