IT looks as if Jeff Horn isn't a lock as Manny Pacquiao's next opponent following a tweet yesterday in the Filipino boxing icon's official Twitter account.
Manny Pacquiao on Monday asked his legions of Twitter followers to choose his opponent after announcing his next world title defense will be in the United Arab Emirates. As of now Khan is the overwhelming favorite in the fan poll with 47% of vote, and considering that UAE is the target destination for this fight (at least according to Pacquiao), Khan would likely make the most business sense.
Many believed it was a done deal for Pacquiao to defend his title against Australian Jeff Horn in Brisbane at the end of April.
Over the last few weeks, there have been reports that the boxing icon will be getting into the ring with Horn in April, and that Australia was in negotiations to hold the bout. "But I remain confident that the fight will go ahead in Brisbane".
This came after his adviser, Michael Koncz, had earlier told Fight News Asia that Pacquiao's next fight would indeed be in Dubai, against Horn.
However, on Sunday, Pacquiao said that he would be fighting instead in the UAE.
And Pacquiao has decided his next fight should be decided by his loyal followers. We don't even know if it's Pacquiao tweeting this stuff or if he's given control of his page to someone else.
To add to the fog, Koncz claims to co-promote Pacquiao with Top Rank in the same way Duco and Top Rank share the rights for Horn and Kiwi heavyweight star Joseph Parker.
But if the selection of the largely unheralded Horn as an opponent raised some eyebrows among fight fans around the globe, so did the suggestion that the UAE was now the key player in hosting a major event.
Khan, 30, has regularly stated his desire to face Pacquiao in the UAE in an effort to tap into boxing's following in western Asia.
"The deal that has been put forward by Tourism and Events Queensland and Brisbane Marketing (for Pacquiao) is I think a very good offer and I am trying to get the deal done with Top Rank".
"It took us a while to get this deal together", Koncz said in an interview with boxingscene.com.