Jury reaches verdict for Eric Frein in state trooper ambush

The man who led authorities on a 48-day Pennsylvania manhunt almost three years ago - after killing a state trooper in an ambush - was convicted on a dozen felony counts Wednesday, and is now faced with the prospect of a death sentence.

Frein was charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder, first-degree murder and attempted murder of a law enforcement officer, several weapons charges, and terrorism.

The outcome of Eric Frein's trial is not in doubt.

He shot two State Troopers, however, only one of them survived.

Since he was convicted of first-degree murder, Frein, 33, is eligible for the capital punishment.

"Eric Frein is a human being, with the qualities of humanity that we all have", defense attorney William Ruzzo said. Bryon Dickson II, a married father of two.

The prosecution, headed by Pike County DA Ray Tonkin, is expected to review all of the evidence presented during the nine days of testimony.

The final prosecution witness in his trial was a forensic pathologist who testified that both gunshots that struck Corporal Bryan Dickson II, 38, in the ambush outside the Blooming Grove barracks on September 12, 2014 were lethal to him.

Prosecutors charge that the late-night ambush in the parking lot of the rural Blooming Grove state police barracks was aimed at sparking a "revolution".

The search involved 1,000 law enforcement officials and spanned more than 300 square miles of the Pocono mountain wilderness in northeastern Pennsylvania.

As the verdict was read, Frein was standing with his head down, hands folded in front of him.

"Passing through the crucible of another revolution can get us back the liberties we once had", said the letter, which prosecutors said Frein wrote to his parents while on the run. He says the verdict means "a brutal murderer will be held accountable for his heinous and cowardly acts".

A death sentence would send Frein to death row, but the state has a moratorium on executions under Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf. The dragnet shut down schools and roads and hurt businesses in the mountainous region, which leans heavily on tourism.