Swedish police have arrested a 39-year-old man from Uzbekistan whom they believe drove the stolen trick into shoppers in Stockholm. In December 2016, he was informed by the Migration Agency that he had four weeks to leave the country.
The suspect behind the Stockholm truck attack had been facing deportation and had extremist sympathies, Swedish police say.
Swedish Police confirmed the identity of the suspected truck attacker as a 39-year-old man from Uzbekistan, who is now under police custody.
This past February, the still unnamed man continued to evade authorities tasked that month in carrying out the order.
The 39-year-old suspect in the Stockholm attack "showed interest for extremist organisations like IS", police chief Jonas Hysing told reporters.
A Briton, a Belgian and two Swedes were killed in the truck attack on Friday.
Akilov was detained on Friday night in a northern Stockholm suburb hours after police say he carried out the attack.
Another five others had been held for questioning in the investigation.
Sweden's prosecution authority said a second person had been arrested on suspicion of having committed a terrorist offence through murder, but police said they were more convinced than ever that the Uzbek man was the driver of the truck.
Ten of the injured people remained in hospital, two of them in intensive care, Stockholm authorities said.
"I think it's very important to stay strong together against anything that wants to change our society, which is based on democracy", said Marianne, who gave only her first name and came with her elderly mother.
Swedish prosecutors on Sunday arrested a second person in connection with the truck attack case for suspected crimes against the nation and were holding four other people.
Sweden's Prime Minister Stefan Lofven lays flowers at a fence near the department store Ahlens following a suspected terror attack in central Stockholm, Sweden, Saturday, April 8, 2017.
"We talk, we don't fight", she said.
Meanwhile, a peace vigil attracted thousands of people in central Stockholm on Sunday afternoon. Fifteen people were injured, 10 of whom were still hospitalized as of Sunday.
Pierre Svensson, who said he employed the suspect through a contractor for several weeks on an asbestos removal project in Stockholm late previous year, described him as a "reserved person".
Since 2010, when Taimour Abdulwahabal-Abdaly, a disaffected Iraqi Swede, blew himself up on a side street just yards from where Friday's attack took place, the threat level in Sweden has been 3 on a scale of 5, where 3 indicates the possibility of an attack and 5 represents the most serious threat. It was quickly put out.
Magnus Ranstorp, the head of terrorism research at the Swedish Defence University, said that while it was almost impossible to deter these types of attacks, more could be done to deter potential terrorists.