stayontheblack.com

World

Four US soldiers killed in apparent insider attack in Afghanistan

The US military command in Kabul confirms it was 'aware of an incident' at Camp Shaheen

Seven American troops were wounded Saturday in an insider attack by an Afghan soldier at a military base, as the USA appears set to boost its troop presence in the country.

"Initial information shows three United States soldiers visiting the base were wounded", Mohammad Radmanish, a spokesman for the Afghan Defense Ministry said.

The incident took place at Afghan National Army's (ANA) Shaheen Corps in Mazar-e Sharif city of Balkh province.

The statement read that the incident was under investigation and more details would be provided when available.

Six U.S. troops have been killed from hostile fire in Afghanistan so far in 2017.

The attack appears to have been a "green-on-blue" act by an Afghan soldier, a coalition official told CNN.

Robert Purtiman, a spokesman for the USA -led mission in Afghanistan, said that the US military was aware of "an incident" at Camp Shaheen in Mazar-e Sharif.

The violence comes just seven days after an Afghan soldier turned his weapon on his US counterparts in another region of Afghanistan, killing three soldiers and wounding another.

One Afghan soldier was killed, he said.

Abdul Qahar Araam, spokesman for the 209 Army corps, said soldiers returned fired killing the attacker.

"US soldiers have been wounded". It comes exactly one week after an Afghan soldier allegedly opened fire on us troops, killing three and wounding one. He could not immediately say if the suspected shooter was among the dead or wounded.

US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis said on Monday he would present options on Afghanistan to President Donald Trump "very soon".