London attack: Third attacker identified, according to Italian newspaper
Jun 07 2017
Her son and the two other attackers rammed a van into pedestrians on London Bridge, then ran into the Borough Market area, and slit throats and stabbed people indiscriminately before they were shot and killed by police.
Zaghba had lived mainly in Morocco but had recently spent time working in Britain, most recently at a London restaurant.
Italian prosecutor Giuseppe Amato said there was not enough evidence to arrest or charge the 22-year-old when he was caught at Bologna airport last year. He was allegedly on his way to Syria and was carrying only a backpack.
According to AGI, the British and Moroccan authorities were notified of Zaghba's status as a potential militant by DIGOS.
Zaghba's parents reportedly lived in Morocco but then separated and his mother settled in Bologna.
PRESSURE was mounting on the Government and the security services last night following claims that Italian authorities had warned the United Kingdom about the third London Bridge attacker.
But the MI5 domestic intelligence service has seen its budget increase and has plans to expand to 5,000 officers from 4,000 over the next five years, MI5 chief Andrew Parker said last year.
The identity of the last attacker in Saturday's attack came as a new search got underway in a neighborhood in east London near the home of two of the London Bridge attackers.
Police had previously arrested 12 people in the course of the investigation, but said Monday those 12 had all been released without any charges.
The attack, the third in Britain in three months involving suspects who had been on the radar of British authorities, has raised questions over the government's ability to protect Britain following cuts to police numbers in recent years.
The ISIS-linked Amaq News Agency claimed a "detachment of Islamic State fighters" carried out the attack but provided no evidence to back up its claim.
"That is a question that will need to be answered by MI5, by the police, as the investigation goes on".
Gaps in police monitoring have been a focus after it became known another attacker in the incident was on a watch list.
As the investigation expanded to look at how the men knew one another and whether they were part of a larger conspiracy, Pakistani intelligence authorities swooped Tuesday into the town of Jhelum, where Khurum Butt lived until the time he was 7, when he moved to Britain. In a letter posted outside Tuesday, the Ummah Fitness Centre said staff would "help the police in any way we can".
Collina said she would dedicate her life to fighting ISIS ideology by "teaching real Islam to people and trying to convince families to fill the void that they might find in their children".
The latest opinion poll on voting intentions, by Survation for ITV, had the Conservatives' lead over Labour narrowing to just one point from six points in the same poll a week earlier.
The number of police officers in England and Wales fell by nearly 20,000 between 2010 and 2016 - years when May, as home secretary, was in charge of policing.
The area around Borough Market is not expected to reopen Tuesday.
A nationwide minute of silence was held at 11 a.m.to honor all the victims.
The country's official terror threat level remains at "severe", one notch below the highest.
It had been set at "critical" in the days after the Manchester concert bombing on May 22 that killed 22 people - reflecting a judgment that an attack might be imminent because accomplices with similar bombs might be on the loose.
As the row threatened to overshadow the final days of the general election, Theresa May was facing questions over the actions of the intelligence agencies and the Home Office at a time when she was home secretary.