India must withdraw troops to avoid 'serious consequences': Chinese state media
Jul 12 2017
Last week, China had issued a "safety alert" for its citizens who are travelling to India asking them to pay attention to their personal safety while travelling in the country.
China and India have been engaged in a standoff in the Doklam area near the Bhutan tri-junction for the past three weeks after a Chinese Army's construction party attempted to build a road. Just two days earlier, China had indicated that it was considering options on issuing a travel alert for citizens visiting India.
"If certain issues can not be resolved for the time being, they may be shelved temporarily so that they will not affect the normal state-to-state relations", Jiang said.
Citing the 1962 conflict when "India's military suffered a bitter defeat" it criticised Indian Defense Minister Arun Jaitley for asserting that "India in 2017 is different from India in 1962", saying he should "not ignore China's unwavering and consistent stance which has continued over the last five decades and its firm belief in the global justice that no country can pursue its security at the cost of another country's sovereignty".
Ambassador Luo Zhaohui told media in New Delhi that the Chinese people were deeply angry over the "occupation" by Indian troops of its sovereign territory but said the showdown should be resolved through diplomatic means.
New Delhi and Beijing are locked in heated verbal exchanges over a slice of land near the narrow passage that connects India's northeast states with the rest of the country - a strategic link called the Siliguri Corridor but more commonly known as the "Chicken's Neck."
News18earlier reported that the Chinese Embassy's website that had said that the two "exchanged views" on the "current bilateral relations" between the two nations. "But India may overestimate the influence of Tibetan exiles", it said. In April, the Tibetan Buddhist leader visited the far northeastern Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh, territory that China claims. He was also asked about a photograph tweeted by the India's Ministry of External Affairs showing the two leaders in conversation with interpreters, Geng stuck to his stand. Indian media say each side has deployed several thousand.
Chinese state media said on Sunday that India has, through its actions, exposed itself to Beijing's interference in Jammu and Kashmir.
India and China should approach each other with "strategic maturity", Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar said Tuesday while expressing confidence that the two countries will be able to handle the Sikkim standoff as they have dealt with such border differences in the past.
The standoff at Doklam is likely to be repeated "many times over in more places in the months ahead", Tellis warns.