stayontheblack.com

Sport

Dolphins' Tannehill out for season

Jason Mowry  Icon Sportswire

The Miami Dolphins quarterback will undergo an operation to fix the torn ACL in his left knee and will miss the entire season, a person familiar with the decision said Friday.

Tannehill suffered the injury while taking a tumble in practice last week.

Jay Cutler, who parted with the Chicago Bears after eight seasons, agreed to delay his fledgling network TV career and signed a $10 million, one-year contract Monday to replace Tannehill.

The 29-year-old Tannehill will undergo reconstructive surgery on a partially torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. Their worst fears were realized and a week later he has decided the best course of action is reconstructive surgery sometime this week, a decision he should have made last season instead of stem cell therapy and rehab, but hindsight is 20/20.

Miami Dolphins coach Adam Gase says he's confident quarterback Ryan Tannehill will be ready for the 2018 season, but 2017 is out. It's an extremely unfortunate turn of events for Tannehill, who many in the Dolphins organization believed was poised for a big season.

Cutler will now fill in for Tannehill while Matt Moore remains to the backup on the depth chart for the Dolphins.

Tannehill will still be around the team this season, Gase said.

Per Pro Football Focus' Ryan Smith, Tannehill finished third out of 37 qualified quarterbacks in overall grade when he released the ball in 2.5 seconds or less.