Blast Kills at Least 6, Injures up to 20 in Afghanistan's Jalalabad
May 14 2018
Afghan security forces have struggled to combat the Taliban and ISIS since the U.S. and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation formally concluded their combat role in the country in 2014, shifting to a support and counterterrorism mission.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.
A gun battle has taken place between Afghan security forces and militants in the eastern city of Jalalabad, according to a government official cited by Reuters.
Qaderi said at least four attackers then stormed into the building with rocket-propelled-grenade launchers and AK-47 assault rifles.
Attahullah Khogyani, the spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar province, said a suicide auto bomb exploded outside the building, which belongs to the provincial finance directorate.
Security forces are fighting back, he said, adding that six civilians have been killed.
At least nine people, including a child, had been killed and 36 wounded, public health officials said. Both the Taliban and a local Islamic State affiliate have carried out numerous attacks in Nangarhar.
The militant attack is the latest in a series across Afghanistan this year.
At least four people had been killed and 20 wounded, a spokesman for the Nangarhar provincial governor told the media.
Dozens of people have been killed in voter registration centres in recent weeks, leading to fears that people could stay away from elections that are seen as a major test of the government's credibility. Most have been in the capital Kabul.