Golovkin wants Canelo rematch after destroying Martirosyan
May 06 2018
It was another battle Saturday night at the Stub Hub Center in Carson, California, as undefeated middleweight champion Gennady "GGG" Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs) retained his middleweight titles against Vanes Martirosyan.
It was Golovkin's second career fight at the StubHub Center and his second abrupt exit.
Golovkin had been scheduled for a blockbuster Cinco de Mayo rematch with Canelo Alvarez in Las Vegas, but that event was scuttled when the red-haired Mexican pulled out after a pair of failed drug tests. Golovkin will have to go through Canelo Alvarez, perhaps have a rematch with Daniel Jacobs, and eventually, the aforementioned Jermall Charlo to prove that he is the best in the class.
The IBF has behaved the most foolishly, refusing to put its title on the line for Martirosyan and then declaring Golovkin will be stripped if he doesn't take on mandatory challenger Sergey Derevyanchenko - a 32-year-old Ukrainian with a paltry 12 professional bouts - by early August.
"Absolutely", Golovkin said. "I want everyone".
Betfair Sportsbook traders want nothing to do with taking Gennady on in this fight and that makes ideal sense. Golovkin is the longest among current world Champions owns belts in prestigious versions.
Very few fighters have captured the imagination in the boxing world as a feared fighter, Gennady "GGG" Golovkin is one of those few boxers that strike fear into his opponents hearts.
However, the second round was one way traffic, as Golovkin unleashed a succession of rapid fire punches.
With the victory he now joins Bernard Hopkins for the division record of 20 successful title defences.
The rematch is now slated for September; however, while the Kazakh is unsure if it will happen, he is ready to face him and any other middleweight fighter.
"Everybody want second fight, second step". Plus, the point of entry is either an existing HBO or HBO Go subscription or a friend with one, instead of an additional $70 on added to the cable bill. Jacobs was supposed to demolish Arias and he had a hard time with him, which was his first fight after Gennady, and now the fight with Sulecki he looked bad.
"I feel very happy that it's all been resolved and I'm going to be fighting in a very important fight where several belts will be at stake and I think the audience will enjoy it".
This was Canelo Alvarez's crowd. "In the second round, I came out all business, after I felt him out in the first round".
"She was the hardest puncher I ever faced", said Braekhus who had never been knocked down before. "Let's clean the division out".
Yes, the man who celebrated his 32nd birthday on Tuesday will receive a bumper pay-day for doing the honourable thing by the sport and providing Golovkin with an opponent but some things aren't worth the cash and in GGG he'll face a bear with a sore head.