Kashmir on edge after CRPF vehicle mows down protester

Protesters throw rocks and bricks on a paramilitary vehicle in Srinagar. —AP

"They (protesters) came very close, some of them even climbed on the vehicle".

CRPF vehicles were the target of three grenade attacks in Srinagar on Saturday after a man, run over by its jeep, died late last night, sparking bouts of street protests in several parts of Jammu and Kashmir capital Srinagar. They were rushed to Soura Institute of Medical Sciences where Qaiser succumbed to his injuries. One of the injured was Bhat.

Friday's incident was the second of its kind in recent weeks.

Kaiser, after his parents death was with his aunt along with his two sisters.

Former Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, from the main opposition party in the region, criticised the current head of the state Mehbooba Mufti, whose People's Democratic Party is ruling the state in a coalition with Hindu right-wing Bharatiya Janata Party.

While shops, other businesses remained closed and public transport remained off the roads at most places, three-wheelers and private transport was seen plying in the uptown and city outskirts. Some tear gas shells landed inside the mosque. He added that the body was ferried in a truck to the graveyard and many people couldn't offer funeral prayers after the use of "excessive force" by the police.

In a statement, the Joint Resistance Leaders (JRL) comprising Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik said the "killing spree continues in Kashmir despite Ramadhan ceasefire".

"The protesters tried to stop the vehicle but the forces continued to move", said Shahid Ahmad, a resident who was at the scene. The vehicle, he said, accidentally strayed into an area crowded with protesters, then struck some people when the driver realised what had happened and tried to get quickly away.

In New Delhi, Indian police prevented the Chairman of Jammu and Kashmir Salvation Movement, Zafar Akbar Butt, at the airport to proceed to Saudi Arabia to perform Umrah along with his mother yesterday. When they reached the main chowk they pelted stones on the security force posse.

A senior police official informed Kashmir News Service (KNS) that a case under FIR number 19/2018 under section 279 and 337 RPC has been registered against the CRPF over Nowhatta incident, wherein two youth were run over by a CRPF.