Disappointment for relatives as long-awaited investigation into MH370 proves inconclusive
Jul 31 2018
The Malaysian government's "final" report into what happened to doomed flight MH370 has been published. But he added that no outside group has claimed responsibility for hijacking the flight.
Annex 13 Safety Investigation Team for MH370, led by Datuk Kok Soo Chon, released the long-awaited Safety Investigation Report today, noting that this will not be the final report on the investigation as perceived by many. Communications equipment was also turned off. "It has been established that the air turn back was done under manual control, not autopilot".
They examined Shah's flight simulator at home but found "no unusual activities other than game-related flight simulations".
There was no psychological evidence to suggest any of the crew deliberately crashed the plane. "They have to continue the search until they find the plane", she said.
MH370's cargo included 221 kilograms (487 pounds) of lithium batteries and 4.6 tons of fresh mangosteen fruit, according to its manifest.
Authorities, though, said it is possible there was "unlawful interference" by some unknown third party.
"The one point they stressed was that this report was not to assign blame, it was only a safety investigation", she said, adding that the investigators were limited in their effort, as it was based on information supplied to them.
The report highlighted mistakes and protocols and guidelines that were not followed, however, the families told reporters after a briefing on the report, set for release to the media at 06:30 GMT.
The report found Malaysian Air traffic controllers "did not initiate the various emergency phases as required", delaying the start of the search and rescue in the first crucial hours.
The final MH370 report found a critical turn was made manually, but it's still unclear who was responsible for that decision.
'We are refreshing the page until the report comes in our emails'.
Ms Weeks, who moved from Perth to Queensland after the tragedy, said the search had to go on as the crash may have been due to a problem with the Boeing 777 model. But that search was called off after failing to find anything.
'I have always said the most plausible scenario was murder-suicide and if this guy wanted to create the world's greatest mystery why wouldn't he have piloted the thing to the very end and gone further south?' Mr Abbott said.
The only confirmed traces of the aircraft have been three wing fragments washed up along the Indian Ocean coasts.
It was the second major search, after Australia, China and Malaysia ended a fruitless AUS$200m (£112.8m) search across an area of 120,000 square kilometres (46,332 square miles) previous year.
"It is so disappointing", said Intan Maizura Othman, whose husband was a steward on MH370, which had been flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing carrying mostly mainland Chinese passengers when it vanished. It is believed to have crashed in the southern Indian Ocean, hundreds of miles away from its scheduled route.
Federal Bureau of Investigation and Interpol flew in to help and 40 ships worked around the clock, with 34 aircrafts flying during daylight hours.
The search resumed in October 2015 but the investigation was constantly hampered by bad weather.
Former Australian prime minister Tony Abbott is among those to support this theory, saying in the lead up to the third anniversary of the plane's disappearance he found it "plausible".