More than 200 sickened by parasite with symptoms including 'explosive' bowel movements
Jul 10 2018
Seven of the 212 people who got ill from the vegetable tray have been hospitalized since May.
The parasites found in the veggie packs have been linked to various stomach illnesses and can also cause fever and fatigue, according to the The New York Times.
The recalled products were distributed to the following stores: Kwik Trip, Kwik Star, Demond's, Sentry, Potash, Meehan's, Country Market, FoodMax Supermarket, and Peapod.
More than 200 people in several Midwest states have been sickened by a parasite in food from plastic vegetable trays sold under the Del Monte brand. Two cases were from vegetables bought in another state but consumed in MI.
The sick people are spread across Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa.
Before you swear off veggies forever, rest assured that the recall is in full affect. Del Monte has pulled its baby carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, and dill dip all from the shelves.
The vegetable trays were recalled in June, but on Thursday the CDC confirmed 212 cases have cropped up so far.
Most people infected with Cyclospora develop diarrhea, with frequent, sometimes explosive, bowel movements.
The number of outbreaks could continue to climb, according to University of Minnesota professor Michael T. Osterholm, a food-borne disease expert who said tracking the outbreaks will be challenging.
FDA has not identified which of the ingredients is the vehicle for this outbreak; each component of these vegetable trays is under consideration. Some people who are infected with Cyclospora do not have any symptoms.
If left untreated, the illness may last anywhere from a few days to a month, or longer. The FDA is now reviewing distribution and supplier information related to the vegetable trays, as well, in its ongoing investigation.
The CDC urges consumers to not eat the recalled vegetable trays, and instead, they should throw them away.