stayontheblack.com

Entertainment

Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 production stalled

‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3’ Pre-Production Crew Dismissed As Project Goes On Hold

But Gunn got fired by Disney studio when his controversial tweets on paedophilia and rape resurfaced. Unfortunately, it was later revealed that Disney and Marvel made a decision to stand by the initial call and would instead go on to look for someone to take over directing duties - while still using Gunn's script.

Disney has delayed production on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 indefinitely following the firing of writer/director James Gunn, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Those crew members, numbering less than 20, have been told that they are free to look for other work, a source told Variety on Friday.

Guardians 3 was already in pre-production with full production planned for the autumn and filming expected to start in the New Year.

The Hollywood Reporters quoted their source who said: "The timeline has been pushed out".

While a large number of fans and, more importantly, the film's cast had been pushing Disney to re-hire Gunn, that prospect is now firmly off the table after a meeting Gunn had with Disney president Alan Horn last month, where the Disney exec reiterated his position.

The film's cast, as well as many other people in the industry, have spoken out about the precedent that this sets for the studio of firing someone for things they did before being hired.

So who will take Gunn's place? However, after the filmmaker's problematic old tweets resurfaced online, he was sacked from the project by Disney.

Though it didn't have a definite release date, the film was on schedule to head into pre-production in the fall, begin production in early 2019, with a tentative 2020 release date.