stayontheblack.com

Health

Wisconsin Man Loses Limbs From Dog Saliva That Led To Rare Infection

Greg Manteufel

Doctor's told the outlet they believe the bacteria that infected Manteufel came from his dog, Ellie.

Just one month ago, Greg Manteufel was a long way from a hospital bed.

On June 27th 2018 the Manteufel family experienced a medical emergency when Greg started feeling ill, within hours of the onset of symptoms, Greg's body started to go into septic shock.

Manteufel's wife, Dawn, said her husband was the picture of health before contracting the bacteria. "Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat", said his wife, Dawn Manteufel.

Up to 74% of dogs and 57% of cats carry the bacteria that can cause these infections, Capnocytophaga canimorsus, but in most cases, people only get infected after being bitten. The amputations were necessary after the infection caused Manteufel's blood pressure to drop drastically, which severely reduced blood flow to his limbs and led to tissue death.

"There's no choice. We have no choice but to be positive and make the best of it", said Dawn Manteufel, who had used all her vacation days from her job as a correctional officer at Washington County Jail in West Bend.

Dawn Manteufel said doctors told them her husband's case is not common and more like a "crazy fluke", according to WITI.

"It took a week and they were taking his legs", Dawn Manteufel said.

The Fox affiliate report stated that doctors were then forced to amputate his limbs.

"This type of bacteria comes from the saliva of dogs", said Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist with Froedtert & MCW. Possibly. If you own a cat or dog be aware that Capnocytophaga Canimorsus is a normal bacteria that grows in the mouth of up to 60% of dogs and 17% of cats. Within a week, doctors had to amputate his legs and had to undergo surgery to remove a portion of his hands, as well as half of his forearms.

Dr Munoz-Price added: 'Sometimes it decreases so much that the arms and legs just die.

Capnocytophaga canimorsus is commonly transmitted by dog bites and is usually life-threatening to people who suffer from alcoholism or are asplenic, meaning their spleens don't function normally.

According to a yarn from Fox News reporter Kasey Chronis, his devastating loss could have been caused by something as simple as being licked by his dog.

The family set up a GoFundMe page to help pay for future surgeries, therapy and hand and leg prosthetics.